- 1 ½ pounds beef chuck; cut into 1½-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter½ large white onion; thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves; finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled ginger
- 2 pounds, Yukon Gold potatoes peeled; cut into 2 inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons curry powder, preferably Indian
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 13.5-ounce cans unsweetened coconut milk
- Steamed jasmine rice, thinly sliced Fresno chile, cilantro, and lime wedges (for serving).
How to Cook:
- Season beef; generously with salt. Heat the oil in the large heavy pot over medium high. Cook beef turning occasionally until browned deeply all over for around 8–10 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Pour off all but 1 Tablespoon fat from pot.
- Reduce heat to medium, add butter; garlic, onion, and ginger. Cook stirring often, and scraping up browned bits until onion is translucent for about 5 minutes.
- Add curry, cook, stirring; until it starts to stick to pot for about 3 minutes.
- Stir in bay leaves coconut milk; and 1 cup water. Return the beef to pot. Season with salt, and bring to a simmer. Cook partially covered; until beef is just fork-tender for about 30–35 minutes.
- Add potatoes and then bring to a simmer; and cook uncovered; stirring occasionally; until the beef, and potatoes are very tender for about 25–35 minutes. Thin using water if needed; seasoning with salt.
- Serve over rice; topped with cilantro; lime wedges and chile.