How to Make Beef Stew With Potatoes and Carrots
Makes 12 servings
Active Time: 1 1/4 hr
Total Time: 4 1/2 hr
For braised beef:
- 5 pounds boneless beef, chuck (not lean), cut into 2-inch pieces
3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions; quartered
- 3 carrots;quartered
- 3 celery ribs; quartered
- 1 head garlic; halved crosswise
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/3 cup; balsamic vinegar
- 1 or 750 ml bottle dry red wine or about 3 3/4 cups
- 2 Turkish bay leaves; or 1 California
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 3 cups reduced sodium beef broth
- 3 cups water
For potatoes; and carrots:
- 2 1/2 pounds small white; boiling potatoes
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots
- Preheat oven to 350°F with rack; in middle.
- Pat beef dry; and season with 2 1/2 tsp salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in pot over medium high heat; until it shimmers. Then brown meat without crowding in 3 batches; turning; for about 8 minutes per batch. Place to a platter.
- Reduce heat to medium. Then add carrots, onions, celery, garlic, and cook. Stirring occasionally; until well browned for about 12 minutes.
- Push vegetables; to one side of pot. Add tomato paste, to cleared area, and cook paste stirring for about 2 minutes. Then stir into vegetables.
- Add vinegar, and cook it; stirring for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in wine; bay leaves; and thyme, and boil until wine is reduced, by about two thirds for about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add broth to pot along; with beef water, and any juices from platter, and bring to a simmer. Cover, and braise, in oven until meat is very tender; for about 2 1/2 hours.
- Set a large colander; in a large bowl. Pour the stew in colander. Return the meat pieces to pot. Discard remaining solids. Cook liquid stand; for about 10 minutes.
Cook potatoes and carrots:
- While beef braises; peel potatoes cut into 1/2 inch wide, wedges. Slice carrots diagonally.
- Add carrots; and potatoes to stew; and simmer; uncovered stirring occasionally, until potatoes, and carrots, are tender for about 40 minutes.