How to Make Ground Turkey Chili Slow Cooker
Ground turkey chili– This is easy chili recipe to cook with lean ground turkey; but ground beef may be used as well. Simmer the chili on the stove top. If you don’t have chili seasoning mix; don’t be afraid. I have included a simple spice mixture which can be used as a substitution. Thy this easy recipe.
- Vegetable oil for about 2 tablespoons
- 2 pounds ground turkey; or half lean ground beef; and
- half lean ground turkey breast
- 1 clove garlic; minced; or about 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 28 ounces large can crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 15 ounce kidney beans; drained and rinsed
- 1 large green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1/4 cup of beer or chicken broth
- 2 to 4 tbs of honey; or brown sugar, or to taste
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- 2 envelopes commercial chili seasoning mix
- dash of cayenne pepper, to taste (optional)
- salt; and freshly ground black pepper; to taste
- shredded Monterey Jack cheese; mozzarella; or mild cheddar cheese
- sour cream; avocado; crackers; chopped onions; or other garnishes (optional)
How to Make It
- Pour the vegetable oil in a large stockpot; or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Brown the ground turkey, stirring; and breaking up; until the meat is no longer pink.
- Stir in the chopped bell pepper; and onion, cook, stirring for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic; and cook for about 1 minute longer.
- Add the tomatoes, beans, tomato sauce, beer or broth; honey or sugar, and chili mix.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer, cover the pan; and then reduce the heat to low, simmer for about 1 1/2 hours or longer.
- Taste and add salt; and freshly ground ,pepper as needed.
- Top each serving, with shredded cheese (cheddar, mozzarella, Monterey Jack), sour cream; oyster crackers; chopped onions; taco chips; etc.